Wednesday, March 23, 2011

A letter to my youngest


Dear Sophie,
Just in case you ever wondered what it was like to carry you, I wanted to get it all down in print before I forgot!
I am now 31 wks so that means we only have 8 short weeks left before we meet you and we cannot wait! We found out we were expecting you sometime at the end of last September and you were no 'accident'. We'd planned for you and hoped for you and we rejoiced when we found out we'd been given the gift of you! I cried tears of joy when we got the confirmation and then i braced myself for what i was certain the first trimester would surely bring....Nausea, nausea, nausea! Your normally health-conscious mom had to start eating a fast food breakfast every day, simply because the fat and grease first thing in the am had a tendency to 'cut' the nausea and make it more tolerable. I developed an aversion pretty early on to my beloved caffinated drinks like cokes and sweet teas and gave them up pretty quickly. Thank God for a family-friendly work environment, because most days I would have to retreat to a treatment room and lay down for awhile. Still, my first trimester was easier with you than my first trimester with your big sister!
My 2nd trimester rolled around sometime around Thanksgiving. The nausea subsided and i can honestly say that my biggest concern during this time was the fact that i was growing out of all of my pre-pregnancy pants! Thank goodness for black leggings..I am so grateful that they are 'in' right now because I was able to breeze right through these weeks without having to spend alot of money on maternity wear. It was during this time we began talking to Caroline about you. We would ask her "do you want a baby brother or a baby sister?" and every time, she would respond with enthusiasm "baby SISTER!!" it was like she knew all along that you were coming. On 1/3/11, we went to our gender scan and were told "You got yourselves a little girl!" Your big sister was right all along.
I am now in my final trimester. It's smooth sailing from here! I'm plagued a bit by insomnia but that's OK, I always have been to some degree. Heartburn and indigestion prevent me from eating dinner most nights, but Oh well, my butt is big enough! At most anytime, I can poke around on my belly and feel your little bottom or your elbow. This is one of my favorite perks, although you usually seem rather inconvenienced by it. I also get to enjoy your little kicks throughout each day, even though you mostly sleep through the days. You, like most in-utero babies, are the most active at night. Even when you wake me up with your movement, I still enjoy it. I thank God that you are healthy and active and normal and these little kicks are my reminder of that. One particular evening not too long ago, you'd been unusually still. I waited several hours for you to move. You didn't. I laid down for awhile, turned on both sides, poked and prodded you..still you were quiet as a mouse. Finally, I closed my eyes and laid my hand on my belly and said to God "Lord, please give me a sign that she's OK. Please Lord, just let her just give me one good kick.." and right then, as soon as those words had left my mouth, you kicked my hand! It was the fastest He has ever answered one of my prayers!
Please know, my precious daughter, that this is not the only time I have prayed for you. I started praying for you even before you were conceived. I asked Him to send us the baby He wanted for us when the time was right and He sent you. (1 Sam 1:27)I prayed for you throughout each of my trimesters and I will continue to pray for you always! I pray for your safety and health and I pray for your protection. Most of all though, I pray that you will grow up to be a woman of God and warrior for Christ! I can imagine no reward greater than watching your child come to know Him and thisis what i will always want for you more than anything!
In a few short weeks, I will have to share you with the world. No doubt that watching you and your sister grow will always be my greatest earthly joy.
Love,
Mommy

3 comments:

Liz said...

Sooooo sweeet!

jillemersonbell said...

Beth, I love the name Sophie. That is the sweetest letter you wrote. Caroline and Sophie are two blessed little girls to have you as a mommy. So happy for you guys!

TN Bakers said...

so incredibly precious, Beth. I can't wait to meet Sophie as well. Praying for a healthy remainder of your pregnancy and an easy delivery.