Tuesday, June 17, 2008

24 week update


Baby Nickel has had a big week. She is officially considered "viable" at this point, meaning if she chooses to show up early, (she is a Nickel, after all) her chances for survival would be pretty good. She now has fully-developed eyes, ears, fingernails, eyelashes & eyebrows. Her lungs are now secreting 'surfactant'....which is a surface-activated fat that assists her little lungs during inflation. Her taste buds are beginning to form and over the next week, her sweat glands will begin forming. She also has a hand & startle reflex...which may explain why every time I poke my stomach, she pokes back!

She spends her evenings doing somersaults & karate chops...but only after I've laid down to attempt sleep. During the day, she's quiet as a mouse.

the urge to hold her is getting really strong...everytime I'm feeling stressed or tired, I think 'if only I could hold her right now then I would feel better...'

Our 24-week check-up is on Thursday...We get to have another sonogram (Yay!) because at the last one, she became pretty uncooperative at the end and the tech was unable to get a few measurements. We'll keep you posted!~

Love,
Beth, Jason & Baby Nickel

3 comments:

Baabe said...

What a great blog this week! Soooo exciting! So, she's feisty already! Wonder who she takes after? Could be a "handful" and an "armfull." Thanks for the great news this week. Love you:-)

Unknown said...

And the other Grandma says that I love being able to keep up with everything this way. Since none of the Grandparents are there, this is great! We can't wait to hold and love on that precious bundle!

Jason, you can dress her up like Rebelette, but I'm putting her in tutus, boas and tiaras!! After all, she'll be our Princess!
Debra

Na Na said...

i was so moved when I read this. i can't wait to see her. i hope she has beth's teeth, jason's laugh and jason's ears. (that was for you beth) miss you both terribly!